Global Issues

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The return of bread cast upon the water | Touch of Torah | NJJN

The return of bread cast upon the water | Touch of Torah | NJJN: "Our catch usually consisted of several fish known as porgies, which were bony and, my mother insisted, were not kosher. Occasionally, we caught a flounder or two, which we proudly brought home for dinner.

We spent most of the time talking philosophy in a speculative, but self-certain manner typical of boys our age. Because of our different backgrounds, we argued a lot about religion, God, the meaning of life, and how to know right from wrong.

In later years, I lost track of my childhood friend and forgot the specifics of those discussions. I remember that my family stayed in the Rockaways for the High Holy Days that year and I vaguely recall that just before Yom Kippur, I told Milton the story of Jonah and about a fish much bigger than our porgies and flounder."

No comments:

Post a Comment